Re: Inline Lists

From: Seth Call <sethcall@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:52:03 -0500
Cc: public-html-comments@w3.org
To: Ryan Roberts <hello@ryanroberts.co.uk>
Hey Ryan,

I'd like to jump in on this as well.  This is a problem not just with
lists, but that is a good example.

The HTML5 spec has a semi-solution, in that it is suggested that when
you omit the p tags, there are in effect 'implicit paragraphs'.  Check
out the last example of this section, http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/dom.html#paragraph
, (the one about 'My Cats').   While that example is a clever way of
thinking of the data, ultimately I don't think this is a workable
solution, because it is impossible to know for sure that the text on
either side of the block element is actually related.

Let's for a second assume  the HTML5 spec were to make a change here.
If that were to happen, the CSS 'display' value 'inline-block' could
offer inspiration for terminology, and behavior, for this situation.
Perhaps something like, 'if a block element occurs within phrasing
content, it would cause content model to reset to flow content
underneath that block element'.

Regards,
Seth