Re: Explanation on usage of 'td' vs 'th' within a thead

From: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:41:55 +0200
To: Seth Call <sethcall@gmail.com>
Cc: public-html-comments@w3.org
2009/7/22 Seth Call <sethcall@gmail.com>:
> Hey there,
>
> I know I'd personally benefit from an explanation of the usage of 'td'
> versus 'th' in a thead.
>
> Why would someone ever put a 'td' in a thead? Related question... why would
> put in a mix of td's and th's within a thead?
>
> Maybe It's just a lack of creativity on my part, or a lack of experience
> with tables, but after reading the spec, I still don't understand why I'd
> use td vs a th in a thead; morever, I don't have a good reason why I'd mix
> the two in a single thead.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Seth

Uhm... Look at
|=========================================================|
| Month |   Incomes           |          Outcomes         |
|       | Salary |   Other    | Food  | Transp. | Entert. |
| Jan   |  1500 |        85 |  720 |    310 |    150 |
| Feb   |  1500 |        85 |  685 |    380 |    210 |
/etc/

headings in the second row can be marked as <td> because they're
actually data (the reason for spending / earning money)

However, it is more realistic that <td> are allowed as descendant of
<thead> just because <tr> have always the same content model
((td,th)+).

Giovanni