Explanation on usage of 'td' vs 'th' within a thead

From: Seth Call <sethcall@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:44:22 -0500
To: public-html-comments@w3.org
Hey there,

I know I'd personally benefit from an explanation of the usage of 'td'
versus 'th' in a thead.

Why would someone ever put a 'td' in a thead?  Related question... why
would put in a mix of td's and th's within a thead?

Maybe It's just a lack of creativity on my part, or a lack of
experience with tables, but after reading the spec, I still don't
understand why I'd use td vs a th in a thead; morever, I don't have a
good reason why I'd mix the two in a single thead.

Thanks!

Seth