RE: Please do not forbid <link rel=bookmark - actually exploit it

From: Chris Hoffman <mistermuckle@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:04:10 -0400
To: public-html-comments <public-html-comments@w3.org>

Isn't there metadata inherent in the structure of the document,
especially in HTML5? To use an obvious example, a navigation section
would be indicated by a <nav> element, and a user agent could give the
user an option to skip the section of the document contained in that
element. It's somewhat the same thing we are starting to use ARIA roles
for in HTML4 and XTHML; Henri Sivonen has compiled a list of comparisons
at http://hsivonen.iki.fi/html5-roles/.

With metadata already built in to the document structure, I don't see
what benefit would come of indicating it with redundant <link> elements.
It seems to me that using <link>'s was one of the better ways to map out
key places in a document at a time when the world consisted of the vague
seems less necessary.

Chris