Re: Support for extensibility in HTML 5

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 01:14:21 +0100, Nikhil Kothari
<nikhilko@microsoft.com> wrote:
> 1.      Why is it yet another spec? I think there is value in having one
> over-arching spec representing the HTML and DOM platforms. The way I see
> it, extensibility is a core feature, and shouldn't have to be pieced
> together from different specs coming together.

Well, what XBL provides is pretty different from HTML. XBL sits more on
the presentation "layer" and allows for creation of components, etc. where
HTML provides a set of native controls. XBL is also not just for HTML, SVG
and other languages can use it as well.

> 2.      I haven't looked at the spec deeply, but a glance at the TOC
> seems to imply its still missing things like ability to define custom
> layouts and to write components that deeply integrate in the core DOM
> infrastructure.

Layout is left to CSS (mostly), but writing components is definitely
possible and they do in fact integrate with the DOM, etc.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>