Re: HTML plan review at upcoming AB

On Feb 5, 2015, at 12:58 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> From the plan review itself:
>
>> This is work in progress. It has only been looked at by Sam, Paul,
>> PLH, and Robin. This document has no official status and was simply
>> produced in response to a request from the AB. Some elements of this
>> plan have been rejected previously and could undergo substantial
>> changes before coming into effect.
>
> Full plan can be found here:
>
>  http://darobin.github.io/after5/html-plan.html

I believe it is inappropriate to enshrine any exclusive group as the
gateway for what goes into HTML, whether that group is a small set of
companies that happen to dominate current browser marketshare, or a
small set of individuals that happen to dominate an IRC club.

Furthermore, I see no reason to assign that role to the WHATWG.
Triage tends to be dominated by whomever does the work, regardless of
their role or official title, with the exception of decisions that have
been made by the working group.

If the intent of this process is to continue adhering to the decisions
made by the working group, and to allow the working group to override
any triage when it chooses to do so, then any individual(s) can take on
the role of triage without making it separate from the WG.  There is
no need to assign that role to some other group even if only people in
that group are willing to do the work.

OTOH, if the intent of this plan is to replace or reduce decisions
made by this group to only those deemed acceptable in triage, then
consider this an objection to that plan.  That would be nothing more
than a rubber-stamp process.  I would rather put an end to the W3C
than participate in such an effort.

Cheers,

Roy T. Fielding                     <http://roy.gbiv.com/>
Senior Principal Scientist, Adobe   <http://www.adobe.com/>