RE: request a heartbeat publication of HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives

It seems that there are already multiple versions of this document located in numerous locations (which I find far more troubling than a date-stamped heart-beat status):

http://w3c.github.io/alt-techniques/

http://www.w3.org/TR/html/embedded-content-0.html#alt

http://dev.w3.org/html5/alt-techniques/

Google also turns up this W3C branded document: http://files.paciellogroup.com/blogmisc/HTML5/textalternatives.html

That is, by my count, 4 unique instances of what purports to be essentially the same document, or a version there-of.

If having a definitive heart-beat document, complete with time-stamp [sic] is that important to others, will we also seek at this time to streamline this cacophony of different documents at different URLs? Otherwise it strikes me as a bit of an exercise in futility.

As for timing… I am unclear why we have to do this NOW, right away, this week! We are waiting on a decision from the Director on @longdesc, and depending on that outcome, we may need to have some significant editorial changes added to that document. We've come along this far, and this long, with the document at the current status with no harm (Steve has already said he has not made any changes in months), so I am unclear on the sense of immediate urgency. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see this finished up too, but what's the rush? Can we let the Director make his decision, and then we can set a publish date based upon that decision?

JF