Re: W3C/WHATWG overlap going forward

On 1 December 2014 at 14:38, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> For that matter, do you expect it to contain the hgroup element and
> outline algorithm which was previously intentionally removed from the W3C
> recommendation?  Or the ping attribute that was initially implemented by
> Firefox and then turned off by default?  Or the Microdata API which was
> initially implemented in Chrome (actually, webkit at the time) and
> subsequently removed?  Or ...

all good questions :-)

my initial thoughts were to only include those features that are
implemented or likely to be implemented.

for hgroup the UA implementation requirements are still there, as they are
for other obsolete elements.

for the outline algorithm it was not removed, as the algorithm itself has
no requirements that it must be implemented in a conforming html5 UA

for the ping attribute; if looks like implementations are happening and it
would be useful for developers  to know the details it can be raised for
discussion.

for the Microdata API; as for the ping attribute.

Am I right in thinking that having a mechanical copy of the whatwg spec
will encounter the same barriers to it being reference-able as the whatwg
spec itself? That a referenced spec can only contain content that is agreed
upon by the html working group/w3c even if those parts that are disagreed
with are not referenced directly?

--

Regards

SteveF