Re: W3C/WHATWG overlap going forward

On 12/01/2014 09:23 AM, Steve Faulkner wrote:

> On 28 November 2014 at 10:35, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net
> <mailto:rubys@intertwingly.net>> wrote:
>
>     For reasons mentioned in the above mail (0036.html), I see this as
>     unlikely to occur in the near term.  I also believe that it is
>     unlikely to occur for "kitchen sink" specifications.  As work in
>     that specification is "spun out" into separate specifications,
>     directly referencing those parts is much more of a possibility.
>

> I am preparing to work on one such spin offs, which will encompass the
> elements/attributes of HTML. An issue i have with referencing the WHATWG
> html spec currently is that it contains a lot of non-user agent content
> that I don't want to reference (since that will be updated/original
> content in the spec I am working on)
>
> ideally I would like to have the user agent details available to readers
> of the spec. My current think is to have stale quoted sections or have a
> mechanically published copy of the whatwg with only user agent stuff in
> it, which i can then reference.

Do you envision such a "mechanically published copy" containing the
content that was previously marked at risk and subsequently removed from
the HTML5 recommendation due to a lack of implementations?

For that matter, do you expect it to contain the hgroup element and
outline algorithm which was previously intentionally removed from the
W3C recommendation?  Or the ping attribute that was initially
implemented by Firefox and then turned off by default?  Or the Microdata
API which was initially implemented in Chrome (actually, webkit at the
time) and subsequently removed?  Or ...

Revisiting these decisions, and potentially coming to different
conclusions, is productive and healthy.  My only point is that these
decisions need to be made consciously, not mechanically.

> any suggestions welcome.
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> SteveF