Re: CfC: to publish HTML 5.1 specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

On 12/13/2012 06:37 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> So by all means let's keep figuring out how to solve this, but let's not
> get bogged down in logistics. FPWDs are allowed to be wrong. Let's use
> that right!

While I completely agree with that sentiment, I would like to encourage
some forward progress to be made.  At the same time there is a parallel
discussion going on regarding the wisdom of allowing new features to go
into 5.1 editors drafts with a minimum of discussion.

I believe that these two topics are related.  Having a default for new
features of "unless nobody objects" and having a default of removal for
bad material of "not now" is not an overall winning strategy.

My recommendation is twofold: ensure that there are bugs covering the
topics being discussed, and ensure that bugs that merit discussion at
least get updated with some regularity.

At the present time, there are 130 bugs[1].  The mean duration since the
last update is 92 days.  The standard deviation is 39.5.  If I remember
my math correctly, that means that about two thirds of the time you will
hear some response within four months.

With five editors, I would hope that we could do better.  And on the
plus side, I will note that not all of these bugs have the same urgency.

My preference is that the editors come up with a mechanism by which
members of the working group can identify particular bugs as needing
attention.  It need not be something that is formalized in the Decision
Policy.  It could be as simple as using the existing importance or
priority fields.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://tinyurl.com/cjlxo2f