RE: Call for Consensus (CfC): Comments on the MSE CR

From: John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 12:05:43 -0600
To: "'James Craig'" <jcraig@apple.com>, "'HTML Accessibility Task Force'" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, "'W3C WAI Protocols & Formats'" <public-pfwg@w3.org>
Cc: "'Janina Sajka'" <janina@rednote.net>
James Craig [mailto:jcraig@apple.com] wrote:

> > 1.)	The diagram in this document should have a longdesc.
>
> -1. This is why we can't have nice things.

I object to this statement. You can have all the nice you want, just make
sure it is accessible to all.

The graphic in question requires a long description. Period.

How the W3C chooses to deliver that long description is secondary to that
requirement, but I will state that the solution MUST work with existing
user-agents today - multiple combinations of screen readers and browsers, on
multiple OSes. The solution must also be implementable in the W3C TR
publishing space (which I suspect, but cannot confirm, rules out applying
polyfills, etc.)

> Neither @longdesc nor SVG is a requirement for accessibility.

Nor, we should note, are they off the table either, as both are legitimate
W3C specifications, and the use of @longdesc is in fact one of the
techniques W3C suggests to meet WCAG 2 AA conformance
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20140916/H45).

JF