Re: Call for Consensus (CfC): Comments on the MSE CR

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 01:54:21 -0800
Cc: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, W3C WAI Protocols & Formats <public-pfwg@w3.org>

> 1.)	The diagram in this document should have a longdesc.

-1. This is why we can't have nice things.

> If possible, the diagram itself should also be created using accessible SVG
> markup.

Is your recommendation intention really SVG+longdesc? That's how this reads.

Instead of an overly prescriptive proposal of one possible solution ("You must use @longdesc, and ideally SVG."), this should be phrased, ~"The diagram in the document should be made accessible." How they choose to do that is irrelevant. Neither @longdesc nor SVG is a requirement for accessibility.

You should also include some examples of how to make both vector and bitmap images accessible. You're welcome to use the options I've compiled here. Note: 2 of the 5 examples do use SVG.

http://cookiecrook.com/longdesc/