Re: Moving forward on "HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives"

On 13 October 2014 21:40, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> wrote:

> There's a fundamental flaw between the stated intent of this document
> and the approaches it discusses and recommends.

Assuming you are referring to the following:

"For any of the examples in this section the details and summary elements
> could be used so that the text descriptions for the images are only
> displayed on demand:"

which is accompanied by the following warning:

The details and summary elements are not well supported by browsers, until
> such times they are supported, if used, you will need to use scripting to
> provide the functionality. There are a number of scripted polyfills
> available and also scripted custom controls are available, in popular
> JavaScript UI widget libraries, which provide similar functionality.

source:
http://w3c.github.io/alt-techniques/#graphical-representations-charts-diagrams-graphs-maps-illustrations

I do not see how this advice is fundamentally flawed, and it is similar in
content to what I would have suggested for longdesc advice i.e. yes this
feature can be used but be warned you will have to do some extra work to
ensure the feature is practically usable as its support across is uneven.

If this is the only example of what you consider a 'fundamental flaw' in
the advice in the doc?

--

Regards

SteveF