W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > June 2014

Minutes: HTML A11Y TF Teleconference, 12 JUNE 2014

From: Mark Sadecki <mark@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 12:28:36 -0400
Message-ID: <5399D534.5050104@w3.org>
To: HTML A11Y TF Public <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hello,

The minutes for the HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference 12 June 2014
are available in HTML and plain text below:

HTML:
http://www.w3.org/2014/06/12-html-a11y-minutes.html

TEXT:

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

              HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

12 Jun 2014

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2014/06/12-html-a11y-irc

Attendees

   Present
          janina, Mark_Sadecki, David_MacDonald, Judy, ShaneM,
          Cynthia_Shelly, Plh

   Regrets
          Leonie Watson, Billy Gregory

   Chair
          Janina

   Scribe
          David

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Identify Scribe
            http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scr
            ibe_List
         2. [5]HTML-WG CfC on return to LC
            http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-admin/
            2014Jun/0020.html
         3. [6]Longdesc
         4. [7]Canvas 2D Status
         5. [8]Alt
         6. [9]ARIA in HTML
         7. [10]Media Subteam
         8. [11]HTML 5.1 Next Steps
         9. [12]Other Business
        10. [13]Publish Heartbeat of Using WAI-ARIA in HTML
     * [14]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 12 June 2014

   <janina> Meeting: HTML-A11Y Task Force Teleconference

Identify Scribe
[15]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

     [15] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

   <scribe> Scribe: David

HTML-WG CfC on return to LC
[16]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-admin/2014Jun/002
0.html

     [16] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-admin/2014Jun/0020.html

   Current status is CR

Longdesc

   MS: Good progress on longdesc... exchanged emails with
   chaals... will wrap up with him tomorrow
   ... Will leave with CFC for review...

   MS: I'm confident

   JS: Will run CFC on sufficiency

   MS: through task force then PF and html

   JS: shortest course is 2 weeks... pushing estimate date to JUL
   3

   JS: but that is a problem time vacations

   JB: can do some calendar adjustments

Canvas 2D Status

   MS: heartbeat level 2 in the works

   MS: working on transitioning to canvas task force under the
   html WG... will get feedback on monday on Work Statement and
   will have nominations for facilitators for the HTML WG

   JS: we will want to keep an eye on it but canvas is doing well
   from where we were... going right direction

Alt

   JS: I think we're done

   resolved wrinkle

   several question in call for consensus..complicated

   question about whether we should mention longdesc

   someone filed a bug related few days ago

   DM: difficult to include it because last call is short...
   probably

   JS: will be difficult to get into 5.0 but not too late for 5.1

   JB: not going for re integration... will be extension

ARIA in HTML

   JS: we took a look at 5 and are ok with everything except
   strong native semantics...

   JS: i put out call for consensus... Steve wanted more
   information

   JS: rich provided explanation...

   Shane: Rich wanted to test with validator the strong native
   semantics

   JS: the problem is that we didn't tell browsers how to do the
   strong native semantics... we'll have that with the mapping...
   but don't have it now

   JS: PF will put a warning on it, and not make the section
   normative... when PF gets it all straightened out we'll go for
   it... relying on permissive exit criteria

   <Zakim> ShaneM, you wanted to mention Rich's comment

Media Subteam

   MS: had meeding with web and TV and Chairs outlined famework
   for accessibility support

   JS: they were looking for something easier to consume

   than the media accessibility requirements

   JS: we are assuming html and prerecorded... but cable and
   broadcast items can't meet that

   could not do that over channel 4

   Shane: TV is all digital

   these days

   JS: cable and digital has less limitation

   over the air... bandwidth comes with license

   if it is over internet it is the size of the cable such as coax

   core things... audio description and captions, possibly text
   descriptions

   JS: cable labs will come to media sub team and they want to
   make sure if they got it right

   JS: accessibility work in seveal companies

   JB: FCC policy briefing... faced pace of acctions on
   accessibility... anyone who sells in US market has to follow

   JB: lots of work going on for accessibility

   JS: our problem with media document... we went all the way with
   current research including extended descriptions....

   JS: My use case... a gentlemean loves to go to movies with
   pals, but older and loosing hearing.... background bothers him,
   he can read captions, but not much fun... his phone lets him
   play channel with no background... his TV is muchbetter,
   because he can follow dialogue

   Now read in the newspaper that he can do this in the movie...

   Delivers personalization

   JS: different styles and trend in audio mixing... crowd sounds
   louder now...

   Shane: many of the things that started as special needs, this
   could be for lots people... I would like to turn off talking
   heads

HTML 5.1 Next Steps

   JS: people have actions... me and lionnie had one... not done
   naming topics

   HTML next... refinements...

Other Business

Publish Heartbeat of Using WAI-ARIA in HTML

   <MarkS> [17]Heartbeat Draft or Using WAI-ARIA in HTML for
   review by the TF

     [17] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/aria-in-html/2014-06-24-HB-draft.html

   <MarkS> [18]Bugs resolved since last publication

     [18] http://j.mp/1l2o6XI

   <MarkS> [19]Diff document since last publication

     [19] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/aria-in-html/CH-aria-in-html-20140624.html

   JS: need about 2 years for 1.1

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [20]scribe.perl version
    1.138 ([21]CVS log)
    $Date: 2014-06-12 16:27:14 $

     [20] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [21] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 12 June 2014 16:28:40 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:05:39 UTC