W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > September 2013

Minutes: HTML A11Y TF Teleconference, 26 September 2013

From: Mark Sadecki <mark@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:09:12 -0400
Message-ID: <52447848.6030103@w3.org>
To: HTML A11Y TF Public <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hello,

Thanks to everyone who attended the HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference today 26 September 2013. The minutes are available in HTML and plain text below:

HTML:
http://www.w3.org/2013/09/26-html-a11y-minutes.html

TEXT:

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

              HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

26 Sep 2013

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2013/09/26-html-a11y-irc

Attendees

   Present
          janina, aardrian, MarkS, SuzanneT, David_MacDonald,
          Judy, Rich

   Regrets
   Chair
          Janina_Sajka

   Scribe
          MarkS

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Identify Scribe
            http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scr
            ibe_List
         2. [5]Longdesc Testing WBS
            http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2
            013Sep/0067.html
         3. [6]Longdesc LC Comments Processing
         4. [7]What should be included in new Canvas 2D LCWD
         5. [8]Alt Edits Review
         6. [9]Subteam Reports: Bug Triage; AAPI Mapping; Media;
         7. [10]HTML 5.1 Objectives -- Open Discussion
     * [11]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 26 September 2013

   <janina> Meeting: HTML-A11Y Task Force Teleconference

Identify Scribe
[12]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

     [12] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

   <scribe> scribe: MarkS

[13]Longdesc Testing WBS

     [13] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Sep/0067.html

   [14]WBS Survey Call for Consensus on longdesc tests

     [14] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/longdesc-tests/

   JS: this is open for one week, closing next Wednesday,

   ...there was a bug reported, but it seems like an unusual one.
   everyone should proceed with that survey

   ...will ask PF and HTML WG in status update to also review this
   survey

   [15]preliminary test results

     [15] https://rawgithub.com/chaals/longdesc-tests/master/test-results.html

   ...we may 2-3 weeks from proposing our CR interview

   ...hopefully testing will be done

   JB: we should give a 1-2 weeks advance notice to schedule that
   CR interview

   : [16]WBS Survey Call for Consensus on longdesc tests

     [16] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/longdesc-tests/

   MS: we can process comments in parallel

Longdesc LC Comments Processing

   JS: there is a draft of responses. once wordsmithing and
   editing is complete, we will email the TF to start a new CfC to
   agree to TF responses to Last Call comments.

What should be included in new Canvas 2D LCWD

   [17]Canvas 2d new Last Call

     [17] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Sep/0056.html

   RS: Draw system focus ring is set. still working on draw custom
   focus ring. good progress, chrome still needs to address high
   contrast. question is what is the best way to move forward with
   this functionality

   ...proposed to use hit testing, but there is no progress on
   that.

   ...draw the focus ring and report location to AT. If that
   doesn't happen, the API returns true, telling the author that
   they should draw this based on location.

   ...originally asked for a separate method that reported the
   location. hixie didn't like it because he wanted it to provide
   value to the author

   ...we have everything implemented except for when the system is
   in high contrast mode, the author doesn't have access to that
   information. IE will go to a high contrast focus ring. In
   Chrome, to implement High Contrast mode, they have a plugin
   that configures the browser for high contrast mode.

   JB: did we exhaust all efforts to get that 2nd implementation

   RS: no, not yet. we're taking to Mozilla
   ... what I do mind losing from the spec is Path (hit testing)

   ...last year there was talk of an alternative method, but no
   progress has been made.

   ...we have to make sure this gets done in the next version of
   canvas.

   ...if we lost custom focus ring, we still could provide a
   location for drawing the focus ring. the author won't be able
   to do anything special (a fancy focus ring)

   JB: sounds like you still have questions about why the
   replacement for Path with Shape never happened.

   ...should there be a phone call with all parties?

   JS: timing is not good with RS going on vacation for much of
   Oct.

   RS: without hit testing, there are going to be problems on
   mobile devices because there is no location information for
   canvas objects

   ...there are additional challenges on mobile without keyboard
   navigation.

   ...shape capability will solve that.

   ...I'm concerned that we don't have any traction on shape

   JS: we want to formally ask the WG to calendar this new Last
   Call for Canvas. Should ask for an extension of its deadline
   through november

   RS: why is there a rush to get this out when HTML5 is not due
   to get out until the end of next year.

   JS: it was scheduled to be moving ahead as an extension spec

   RS: its dependent on a critical piece of the HTML5 spec. there
   needs to be a 1-1 mapping of canvas functionality to fallback
   content.

   ...they should be working on removing Path from that spec since
   nobody is implementing it at this point.

   ST: if we don't get this in, I'm sure mobile OS developers will
   probably figure out a workaround, but there is no way any such
   solution will address the needs of users with disabilities that
   are not affected by lack of keyboard nav, like users with
   learning disabilities, like people with learning disabilities

Alt Edits Review

   [18]WCAG WG WBS Survey results on category/class info for alt

     [18] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/imageadvice/results

   MS: haven't heard back from WCAG WG but their survey is done, 9
   responses. Should hear a response after their next meeting.

   JS: stevef will probably want any suggested turned into bugs

Subteam Reports: Bug Triage; AAPI Mapping; Media;

   MS: Bug triage, chaals would like us to track recent accesskey
   bug re translatability

   JS: nothing yet on media, but we intend to get that going
   again.

HTML 5.1 Objectives -- Open Discussion

   [19]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/HTML51 wiki page to
   start tracking html5.1 priorities

     [19] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/HTML51

   MS: we've talked about taking a closer look at a tighter
   integration with the emotion markup spec, support for haptic
   output,

   ST: should start a requirements study/doc for gaming

   DM: WCAG has been concerned with support for cognitive
   disabilities,so perhaps some good ideas will come from that
   work

   JS: talking about calendar data pickers revealed some
   shortcomings in general form controls, so suggest we take a
   closer look at that area of the spec

   JB: are there specific features, related to a11y support that
   are missing in HTML

   ...the ability to navigate better through layers/levels and to
   be able to escape from them and may be missing from html5

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: to MarkS to track access key bug [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2013/09/26-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   1]

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [21]scribe.perl version
    1.138 ([22]CVS log)
    $Date: 2013-09-26 18:06:18 $

     [21] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [22] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 26 September 2013 18:09:18 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:05:35 UTC