Re: Fw: drawSystemFocusRing, drawCustomFocusRing

From: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:48:47 -0800
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, janina@rednote.net, jmann@microsoft.com, public-html-a11y@w3.org, Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>, jbrewer@w3.org, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>, Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@chromium.org>
Hi,

Some (hopefully clarifying) comments.

Rich wrote,

> Rik was also working on a build for webkit which will go into Mac
> Safari.

Yes, Rik has worked on a WebKit patch. His work has generated a fair
amount of pushback on webkit-dev. At least one thread on this can be
found here:

https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2013-October/thread.html#25670

Secondly, whether or not a feature is implemented in WebKit is
orthogonal to whether or not some particular WebKit-based browser will
ship with the feature enabled.

You shouldn't assume that this code will land in WebKit; that's unclear
to me given the discussion on that list. And secondly, you shouldn't
assume that any particular WebKit-based browser would ship this feature
if it does land. For Safari, I can only say that Apple doesn't comment
on future plans or product releases.

Thanks,
Ted