Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

On Sep 25, 2012, at 5:15 AM, Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no> wrote:

> James Craig, Mon, 24 Sep 2012 21:10:25 -0700:
>> On Sep 24, 2012, at 7:21 PM, Leif Halvard Silli:
>>
>>> So I don't think John's concern is "how to have it both ways". Rather,
>>> it is how to make sure that users only get it a single way.
>>
>> I don't think that was his point. Getting content a single way is
>> only possible by having natively accessible forms of content, like
>> accessible SVG, or MathML. Longdesc is a form of alternative content,
>> which is, by definition, not a single way.
>
> Did not your accessible SVG example use a lot of ARIA? Is it then
> "natively accessible"?

Sorry, I should have used a better term. Perhaps it'd be better to say "content with embedded accessibility" versus "content with some form of linked accessible alternative."

> There is a problem here: We can't compare a longdesc="" to iframe.
> Longdesc is just a link.

I don't think that's always the case. Didn't IBM Home Page Reader implement longdesc as a temporary view? It may be okay to present longdesc as merely a link, but that shouldn't preclude us from comparing other presentations.