Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 14:15:17 +0200
To: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
James Craig, Mon, 24 Sep 2012 21:10:25 -0700:
> On Sep 24, 2012, at 7:21 PM, Leif Halvard Silli:
>
>> So I don't think John's concern is "how to have it both ways". Rather,
>> it is how to make sure that users only get it a single way.
>
> I don't think that was his point. Getting content a single way is
> only possible by having natively accessible forms of content, like
> accessible SVG, or MathML. Longdesc is a form of alternative content,
> which is, by definition, not a single way.

Did not your accessible SVG example use a lot of ARIA? Is it then
"natively accessible"? I think we speak past each others here. My
perspective - and that (I believe) of John, is the user's perspective:
Regardless of the method, there should not be any form of (confusing)
duplicate content. So we *could* duplicate the content (e.g. by
supplying 'alternative text') as long as the user don't perceive both
the original and the duplicate.

There is a problem here: We can't compare a longdesc="" to iframe.
Longdesc is just a link. Thus: a link to alternative content. The
representation of the longdesc link is more an extension - and thus a
kind of - short alternative text.
--
leif halvard silli