Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

From: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:33:53 +0200
Cc: public-html-a11y@w3.org
To: "Geoff Freed" <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, "James Craig" <jcraig@apple.com>, "Sam Ruby" <rubys@intertwingly.net>
On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 22:44:34 +0200, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>

> On 09/23/2012 04:16 PM, Geoff Freed wrote:
>> Just for the record, I think that @longdesc *should* be improved.  If
>> the name remains the same, fine.  If it changes or is moved to ARIA,
>> fine.  I just don't want it to go away before that new Thing is
>> available.
> I must say that that's an eminently reasonable position to take.

And is exactly my opinion...

> Geoff: I gather that James hasn't convinced you that iframe is a
> superior solution to address the challenges you face.

I'm not convinced for reasons I explained yesterday.

Which is where the disagreement has arisen. The one thing I have seen that
convinces me that it could solve the problems is the proposal for

(I note in passing that there are other techniques that can be used to
present long descriptions which are applicable to a number of use cases.
However, these do not meet the set of real-world requirements I see which
longdesc does).

> Again I ask: is there any chance that we can get a consensus spec out of
> this: one that doesn't attempt to portray publishing software that
> produces markup including longdesc as non-conforming; nor does it
> attempt to portray user agent software that doesn't natively implement
> longdesc as non-conforming?
> Geoff: if such an extension specification were written, could you live
> with that for now?

In case we can get consensus on such an approach, I'll draft an extension

I believe it is a compromise. But it is one I could live with.