Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 16:44:34 -0400
To: Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
CC: public-html-a11y@w3.org
On 09/23/2012 04:16 PM, Geoff Freed wrote:

> Just for the record, I think that @longdesc *should* be improved.  If
> the name remains the same, fine.  If it changes or is moved to ARIA,
> fine.  I just don't want it to go away before that new Thing is
> available.

I must say that that's an eminently reasonable position to take.

Geoff: I gather that James hasn't convinced you that iframe is a
superior solution to address the challenges you face.

James: and I gather that Geoff hasn't convinced you to advocate within
Apple to natively implement support for longdesc.

And while I identified both of you as individuals, I note that neither
of you are alone in your positions on this matter.

Again I ask: is there any chance that we can get a consensus spec out of
this: one that doesn't attempt to portray publishing software that
produces markup including longdesc as non-conforming; nor does it
attempt to portray user agent software that doesn't natively implement
longdesc as non-conforming?

Geoff: if such an extension specification were written, could you live
with that for now?

James: same question.

- Sam Ruby