Re: "turn the image around" UI idea

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:05:05 +0200
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Maciej Stachowiak, Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:37:49 -0700:
> OK, one detail that was missing is that it's for touch devices and
> the expected way to activate it is a flick gesture. Unfortunately,
> flicks/swipes already have a defined meaning in most mobile and
> tablet browsers, namely, panning the page. We likely cannot overload
> this gesture for images, because panning/scrolling is a critical
> operation. And many pages consist largely of images, so users cannot
> be expected to carefully avoid them when panning.

Touch: If we need to think especially about touch devices, then for
example Safari on iOS does not have contextual menus, as such. But it
does have pop-up menus that I perceive as a substitute for contextual
menus and which require less effort to open (just one finger) compared
with contextual menus in desktop Safari. So the touch version of
contextual menus does not need to be such a bad solution, does it?
--
leif halvard silli