Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

On 09/19/2012 05:28 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Maciej Stachowiak, Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:48:01 -0700:
>> Unfortunately, the conversation still seems to be on
>> mandate-or-no-mandate rather than engagement in crafting a solution.
>
> Sam hinted at that there could be a solution that vendors would be
> willing to implement.

I am indeed optimistic.

I do not work for a browser vendor, but it is my belief that browser
vendors intentionally employ people who care deeply about accessibility.

I will further state that I do believe that the use case for "long
descriptions" is a valid one that should be satisfied.  And not just for
images, but for other elements.  And (recognizing that I do NOT work for
a browser vendor), I do believe that a solution for these problems can
be specified in a matter of months and demonstrably conforming public
implementations could be produced in a matter of months after that.

As to whether or not that attribute should be spelled "longdesc", or
whether it should or should not start with the characters "aria-", I
have stated no opinion.

> I'll note that your negativity towards @longdesc irrespective of
> "implementation ideas" is a point which, to me, does not support Sam's
> positive outline. Unless what your are willing to implement is so
> different from the ideas, then I would have expected a "yes, but with
> another name" or "yes, but we would have to implement it differently".
> (And then a description of the method.)

Please recognize that Maciej and I aspire to satisfy the following:

   http://www.w3.org/Guide/chair-roles

I encourage you to seek out other representatives from Apple to pursue
this question.  And to find ways to include representatives from other
major browser vendors in this discussion.

- Sam Ruby