Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 13:24:48 +0200
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Silvia Pfeiffer, Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:16:59 +1000:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM, Laura Carlson

>> I teach how to write alternate text and longdesc in one-on-one
>> settings as part of my daily job duties and formally in workshops
>> multiple times a year. Debi Orton attested in the last HTML WG survey
>> on ISSUE-30 that she always teaches longdesc and how to use it
>> effectively.
>>
>> We have longdesc support base existing in the form of authoring tools,
>> documentation, tutorials, books, etc. all of which is all a part of
>> our evidence so I will not repeat it again here.
>
> This is all great and really necessary. But can we quantify the
> effect? It would, for example, be a good argument if we were able to
> say that 4 years ago we made this analysis and only 0.1% of images hat
> a @longdesc and 99% of those were wrong, while now 1% of images have
> one and 70% of them are correctly implemented. Just making up numbers
> here - but something like this would be really helpful.

In such a quantification it would/could be useful to document erroneous
image galleries etc that misuse @longdesc? May be one could document
that mis-usage has gone down? My theory is that @data-* is going to to
- has taken over for - much of the misuse.
--
leif h silli