Re: The latest InstateLongDesc CP effectively contains MUST-level UA conformance criteria

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 08:12:45 +0100
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "public-html-a11y@w3.org Task Force" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
> (In my experience, the WebKit project and browsers based on it generally try to implement the "encourage" statements of the rendering section, at least for ports targeting desktop operating systems. And it is generally considered a bug in the spec if those requirements are not implementable for whatever reason.)

What do you mean by "generally" here? Are there known exceptions or
are you just being careful to allow that there could be exceptions?

Whether a requirement is implementable is rather a different question
from whether particular client software intends to implement it.

Both iCab and Opera implement the expectation: "User agents are
expected to allow users to access long text alternative resources
indicated by the longdesc attribute on img." So the expectation would
seem to be "implementable".

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis