Re: The latest InstateLongDesc CP effectively contains MUST-level UA conformance criteria

On Sep 18, 2012, at 11:23 PM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>> (2) Are browser vendors willing to implement these requirements?
>
> Are there any browser vendors that want to make formal compliance
> claims against W3C HTML5 as "Visual user agents that support the
> suggested default rendering" rather than just "interactive user
> agents"?

I don't know that any vendor makes "formal compliance claims" against any spec. But one could validly ask whether any vendor expects to target this conformance class. If not, then arguably it should be removed.

(In my experience, the WebKit project and browsers based on it generally try to implement the "encourage" statements of the rendering section, at least for ports targeting desktop operating systems. And it is generally considered a bug in the spec if those requirements are not implementable for whatever reason.)

Regards,
Maciej