RE: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

From: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:04:39 -0700
To: "'Silvia Pfeiffer'" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, "'Joshue O Connor'" <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Cc: "'Steve Faulkner'" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, "'HTML Accessibility Task Force'" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Silvia Pfeiffer wrote

> One suggestion was to add it to the context menu. This, however,
> relies on a mouse or an alternative means of opening the context menu,
> which is often not available in e.g. mobile devices.

Hi Silvia,

I can't speak for all mobile devices, but I can certainly access contextual
menus on my current mobile device (Android/Samsung Galaxy II) via the
device's menu button. Additionally, on images, press+hold opens a different
context menu, that allows (for example) to Open in New Window, Copy Link
URL, or Save the Image. I can't see why adding "View longer description"
couldn't be an additional option there. (I will also note that press+hold
doesn't work for blind users, nor users with severe mobility restrictions.)

The point is, there are going to be some types of requirements that will
need to change based on user and device, but the overwhelming requirement of
"expose and offer" will remain the same despite the form factor of the
device in question. These types of requirements are not unique to @longdesc.

JF