Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:03:51 +1000
To: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Cc: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie> wrote:

>> Note that we need to be careful to
>> pick something that also works on devices that have no mouse.
>

> I would suggest that by and large the a11y community is aware of that.

I don't think @longdesc has a problem with being exposed in
screenreaders or other accessibility tools (once, of course, it is
handed through from the browser).

I think the real problem is that of having a visual encumbrance for
sighted users and that we don't know what that would be.

One suggestion was to add it to the context menu. This, however,
relies on a mouse or an alternative means of opening the context menu,
which is often not available in e.g. mobile devices.

I was just trying to point out that there are non-accessibility
related requirements, too.

Regards,
Silvia.