Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Léonie Watson <lwatson@nomensa.com> wrote:
> David Singer wrote:
> "So your thesis is that we should stick with a poor solution, that works only in controlled environments (not the public internet), and with a limited number of UAs, not all, and for whcih the situation is not improving nor likely to, rather than do better?
>
> "I'm sorry, I cannot give you a car because you already have a broken bicycle."  Pshaw, I say, I and many others have much higher aspirations."
>
> I think (hope) we all share those higher aspirations. The thing that puzzles me is why we'd want to take away the broken bicycle before a quality car is available? In other words, what would we lose by leaving longdesc in situ, whilst we focus our collective energies on finding a robust replacement?

If we leave img@longdesc in situ, we have to fix it up and turn it
into something usable, otherwise we may as well leave it derelict.
Browser vendors won't want to fix up their @longdesc implementation
now if we are already putting our collective energies into a
replacement solution and will quite clearly get rid of @longdesc in
the next round.

Regards,