Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie> wrote:
> Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>> One suggestion was to add it to the context menu. This, however,
>> relies on a mouse or an alternative means of opening the context menu,
>> which is often not available in e.g. mobile devices.
>

> Opening a context menu via a UA should be a case of revealing the attribute
> to the UA ad defining in the UA what it should do when it encounters the
> attribute. The UA just needs to flag to the user the presence of the
> @longdesc in the first - in a way that suits the users needs - then how it
> is triggered should also largely be defined by a user set of preferences,
> options etc.

A hand-waving mention of "revealing the attribute to the UA" and "user
preferences, options etc." is exactly what I want to avoid. I would
prefer we say something informative and non-normative such as:

Long image descriptions should be made available to the user through a
visual indicator. This can e.g. be through a link in the image's
context menu which can appear on a right-click on the image or after
pressing the image with your finger for an extended time. It could
also be through an icon somewhere on the image, or listed "on the back
of the image" e.g. if the UI allowed to "turn it around", or any other
means that the UA deems appropriate.

Would browser vendors resist such a paragraph and the implied
implementation consequences?

> Good points Silvia and I appreciate them. Your points are timely as they
> touch on something else that does need to be addressed in this discussion.
> Just who is @longdesc for?
>
> 1) For people who are blind and VIP
> 2) For people with cognitive impairments who will benefit from a long
> descriptor to aid comprehension.
> 3) Everyone

I think it would need to be for all three. Those that can see should
get the visual encumbrance, while at the same time it should be
exposed to AT through a11y APIs.