Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 02:10:15 +0200
To: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Cc: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Laura Carlson, Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:43:10 -0500:
>> Regarding comments to the list that NVDA does not currently support
>> Longdesc...
>>
>> I read a post from James Teh, of NVDA, where he said it was not supported
>> because it’s not in the spec... If it’s back in the spec I expect it to be
>> supported in NVDA... I expect the same with VoiceOver...
>
> I suspect that the same is also true with FireFox as a bug to
> implement it was closed WONTFIX because longdesc was listed as
> obsolete the HTML5 spec.

Wasn't the WONTFIX bug in Firefox about contextual menu access only?
After all, Firefox does support longdesc in its A11Y API.

As for VoiceOver: The Firefox Nightly for is constantly improving its
VoiceOver support, so there is a possibility for VoiceOver support when
used together with Firefox.[1] And Firefox accessibility in Android is
also improving.

[1] http://www.marcozehe.de/2012/04/

--
leif halvard silli