Re: My case for the obsoletion of longdesc (Was: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update)

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 21:09:57 +0100
To: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
CC: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, w3c-wai-pf@w3.org
Welcome aboard James!

Will parse the thread in Monday and I look forward to some further
informed discussion and a copasetic resolution to the deadlock on this.

Note, while I'm currently in favour of re-instating @longdesc - as to my
mind their just isn't currently a functional equivalent in HTML5 - I'm
not fanatical about it at all. I'm also open to any fair progressive
discussion that can go beyond inherent @longdesc limitations, build on
lessons learned from that attribute and improve on what has gone before.

Cheers

Josh