Re: Call for Consensus (CFC) to move forward the HTML5 Image Description Extension spec for publication (FPWD)

With my chair hat off...

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 18:13:56 +0100, David MacDonald
<david100@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I’m confused as to why there would be a longdesc on an example of a
> decorative image...WCAG failure F39 says:
>

> “This technique describes a failure condition for images that should be
> ignored by assistive technologies. A text alternative for an >image
> should convey the meaning of the image. When an image is used for
> decoration, spacing or other purpose that is not part of the >meaningful
> content in the page then **the image has no meaning and should be
> ignored by assistive technologies.**”

I suggest that WCAG techniques is incorrect here, by being incomplete. The
image doesn't have any special meaning that is otherwise missing from the
page, and can be ignored by assistive technologies *in the ordinary
reading of the page*.

The counter-argument would essentially say that it is wrong to have
descriptions available for images which are not semantically significant
to the page. I don't think that argument is sustainable.

"Semantically meaningful" is really a continuum, not a boolean condition.
What e.g. screenreaders do is basically an approximation, effectively
deciding what the most useful trade-off is. Longdesc is explicitly
designed for situations where that would normally mean not providing the
description, but making it available for the case when a user wants to go
to the extra trouble of reading it. It is a basic assumption that this
would not be the most common case.

>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20120103/F39

cheers

Chaals