RE: Call for Consensus (CFC) to move forward the HTML5 Image Description Extension spec for publication (FPWD)

From: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:13:56 -0500
To: "'Geoff Freed'" <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, "'HTML Accessibility Task Force'" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
CC: "'Steve Faulkner'" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
I'm confused as to why there would be a longdesc on an example of a
decorative image...WCAG failure F39 says:

"This technique describes a failure condition for images that should be
ignored by assistive technologies. A text alternative for an image should
convey the meaning of the image. When an image is used for decoration,
spacing or other purpose that is not part of the meaningful content in the
page then **the image has no meaning and should be ignored by assistive
technologies.**"

http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20120103/F39

Cheers

David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.

  Adapting the web to all users

            Including those with disabilities

 <http://www.can-adapt.com/> www.Can-Adapt.com

Description Extension spec for publication (FPWD)

No objections here; I think it's ready to go to the next stage.

Geoff Freed

WGBH/NCAM

On Nov 20, 2012, at 7:15 AM, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>