Re: HTML-A11Y Task Force Consensus on Issue-204 (Updated)

The WAI Protocols and Formats Working Group strongly objects to any RFC
2119 normative requirements on WAI-ARIA markup in HTML Working Group
specifications. Normative WAI-ARIA requirements are the chartered
responsibility of PF-WG and are out of scope for HTML-WG.  In other
words, "might" or "may" statements are acceptable, but "should" and
"must" statements are not.

Please note that PF-WG is not now objecting to, nor expressing a
judgement of the technical merit of the proposed language.  Rather, it
simply avers that the appropriate PF-WG locus of normative WAI-ARIA
requirements on user agents is its forthcoming publication, "WAI-ARIA
User Agent Implementation Guide (UAIG)."

http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-implementation/

Comments on the UAIG are welcome. Indeed, a (second) Last Call
announcement for the UAIG is expected in a few weeks.

Moreover, while the UAIG is a PF-WG publication, it is a named
deliverable of the joint PF-WG and HTML-WG  WAI-ARIA User Agent
Implementation Task Force

http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-ua-task-force

HTML-WG members are now, and have always been, most welcome to work with
PF-WG members on perfecting this document.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net