Re: [media] Moving towards a consensus for video transcripts

OK, we're now into the discussion. :-)

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:
> Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>> It is those details that we will be working through in the next media
>> a11y TF meeting.
>>
>> Some of the issues that need to be discussed are:
>>
>> * would a @transcript attribute on the video element be better than a
>> @for attribute on the transcript element?
>>   + it would encourage introduction of a transcript menu in the video
> controls
>>   + it could be a list of IDREFs and thus allow linking to different
>> transcripts in different areas on the page
>>
>> * one problem is that <a> elements inside a <transcript> (e.g. to link
>> to doc or pdf transcripts) would be focusable even when hidden from
>> sight
>>   -> maybe we can avoid using <a> elements, but how?
>
> This is a significant potential problem. A list of links placed in a div
> off-screen will still take tab focus, but will not actually show where that
> focus is for sighted, keyboard only users. While we have this problem today
> (the notorious skip-nav links) moving forward a design that does not
> encourage this kind of poor user-experience is a key goal.

Here's another design idea that I had after our call: we can avoid
using a elements if we use lists of IDREFs and put the link directly
on the <transcript> element:

<video src=video.webm transcript="t1 t2 t3"></video>
<transcript id=t1 src=transcript1.doc srclang=en></transcript>
<transcript id=t2 src=transcript2.html srclang=de></transcript>
<transcript id=t3 src=transcript3.pdf srclang=fr></transcript>

These can then also sit in different locations on the page if
necessary for design reasons.
This would allow creation of a menu with a list of links to
transcripts on the video player.
This would also avoid the focusability issue when the transcripts are
all marked as hidden.