Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: ARIA-DescribedAT & Longdesc

From: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 19:25:24 -0400
To: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Cc: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Quoting Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>:

> At this stage I think the situation is pretty sad, and while I'm
> prepared to work on anything that makes sense, I am unhappy enough
> to accept a half-arsed hand-me-down as better than nothing. :( But
> in principle I still agree with you, because it seems that putting
> in accessibility solutions we haven't thought through really
> incredibly carefully isn't a good idea (witness the small editorial
> mistakes that cost accesskey a decade, or the apparently
> spur-of-the-moment "solution" to hit testing on canvas).

While this makes a certain sense on paper, I find it equally
discouraging to simply shrug and say "let it sail, too bad the
life-boats aren't ready". For this reason I would be very distressed
to leave any known accessibility issues on the shelf in the interest
of making a "shipping date".

I note with a certain sense of continued frustration that as recently
as last May there was a resigned agreement to proceed to Last Call
without resolving Issue 30, with A "PROMISE" to expedite that Issue
thereafter.

The road to Dante's Inferno is paved with good intentions...

JF