Re: Expanding longdesc use

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 13:32:48 -0500
To: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, LĂ©onie Watson <lwatson@nomensa.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Hi Janina.

> However, I question the strategy. Consider the consequences. If we now
> pause to wait for: new language to be written, vetted, and approved, it
> will be that many more days, and I suspect the real story is weeks and
> possibly months, before the longdesc reconsideration can move forward in
> the HTML-WG.

Then maybe consider placing a time limit. Give the full idea (items
1-3*) ONE week to be completed. If it is not, we go with what we have.

*1. The accessibility task force agrees and comes to consensus  that it
is the best way to help successfully reinstate longdesc into HTML; and

*2. If someone volunteers to draft solid use cases; and

*3. If someone volunteers to draft additions for the spec text and
those additions obtain task force consensus.