@longdesc scope (was: HTML Media Transcript, Issue-194: Are we done?)

'Janina Sajka', Thu, 28 Jun 2012 12:42:26 -0400:
> John Foliot writes:
>> Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>>>
>>> I think this is a bad idea. It is stretching ourselves in
>>> loops that are unnecessarily complex, which I think is more
>>> likely to more likely to lead to confusion than to
>>> improvements in the web.
>>
>> What Chaals said.

OK. Leaving @transcript, entering @longdesc: The points I made are
valid with regard to what a @longdesc attribute can point to. So if one
cannot change the name of the red rose, then one should at least
specify that it isn't always red.

E.g. the long descriptions[1] for the CSSquirrel cartoon[2] are often
better described as transcripts than as long descriptions. In fact,
there is a comics search engine (which searches a database of comics
transcriptions) that talks about comics transcription.[3]

Thus, ideally, the proposed longdesc spec text should give better hints
about what a "long description" and "long text alternatives" are - that
it can in fact be a transcript. [4]

[1] http://cssquirrel.com/comicscripts/script42.htm
[2] http://cssquirrel.com/comic/?comic=42
[3] http://www.ohnorobot.com/transcriptionexplained.pl