Re: [media] progress on video transcript discussion

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 1:54 AM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:
> Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>> OK, sorry, I mis-wrote. I am using ARIA only where blind and
>> vision-impaired users need it. For all other needs I have proposed a
>> generic solution.
>>
>> When the transcript is not visible, there is a link.
>> When the transcript is visible, they can see it and don't need any more
>> notice.
>> So, there is no problem.
>

> Here is a use-case where this is a problem:

> <video src="video.mpg" aria-label="video with transcript below"
> transcript="@this_page#transcript"></video>

> *or*

> absolute;">Transcript</a>
>
> *or*

> *or {shudder}*

In all these use cases, the sighted user sees no transcript either, so
the best thing to do here is to discourage this usage completely since
it is not good for ANY user.

If it happens, however, then the aria-label attribute needs to say
aria-label="transcript available" and the @transcript=URL will point
to it, exposed in the context menu, button on the player of whichever
suits the video player best.

It is therefore a use case that is covered with my suggestion.

> Here is another troubling use-case:
>
> <video src="video.mpg" transcript="@this_page#transcript"></video>

> <footer style="font-size: 8px;">Download the <a
> href="transcript.html">transcript</a> here | <a href="privacy.html">Privacy
> Policy</a> | {etc.}</footer>
>
> Problems:
> 1) the cut and paste concern we continue to have

There is a @transcript=URL attribute in the video, which will be cut
and pasted as well. Thus my suggestion to encourage authors to only
use absolute URLs in this attribute. Then we avoid this problem.

> 2) users with low vision who are using a screen magnifier that does not
> render the entire screen in view, but rather a portion of that screen. The
> distance between the video element and the link to the transcript makes
> discovery problematic (compounded by the fact that in this scenario, the
> link has been 'dumped' into the footer along with all the other pesky stuff
> like copyright notice and privacy statement; is rendered as smaller text;
> and generally treated as a necessary evil)
>
> Even in this use-case, if we applied an aria linkage for blind users, it
> would not solve the problem for the low-vision user who is using a screen
> magnifier and not a screen reader.

Indeed - the aria attributes don't help, but the @transcript=URL
attribute solves this use case, too.

>> buttons
>> >
>> > Yes, it does indeed.
>>
>> Well, this is what I care about. :-)
>
> And this is indeed the most important common-ground we share, so do not
> become frustrated by my responses.

OK, let's see if we can get consensus. :-)