W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > July 2012

Minutes from the 26 July teleconference

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:01:29 -0400
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20120726160128.GF4129@concerto.rednote.net>
Minutes from the HTML-A11Y Task Force Teleconference of 26 July are provided below in plain text and are available as hypertext at:

http://www.w3.org/2012/07/26-html-a11y-minutes.html


   W3C

                                                                                   - DRAFT -

                                                                 HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

26 Jul 2012

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Michael_Cooper, Janina_Sajka, John_Foliot, Judy_Brewer, Léonie_Watson, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Paul_Cotton, Steve_Faulkner, Cynthia_Shelly

   Regrets
   Chair
          Janina_Sajka

   Scribe
          Judy, MichaelC, janina

Contents

     * Topics
         1. Issue-206 Status
         2. Issue-205 Status
         3. Issue-204 Status
         4. Issue-201 Status
         5. Issue-194 Status
         6. Subteam Reports: Bug Triage; Text; ARIA Mappings
         7. Other Business
     * Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 26 July 2012

   <paulc> Having trouble joining by phone.

   <paulc> Looks like I need to reboot. Will join in 5+ mins.

   <janina> Meeting: HTML-A11Y Task Force Teleconference

   <MichaelC> drop item 4

   <MichaelC> drop item 5

Issue-206 Status

   <MichaelC> drop item 7

   <Judy> JS: Call for counter-proposals on 206 closes tomorrow. Some work in WHATWG on this, from Ted.

   <Judy> JB: apparently changed it to a "may" provision

   <Judy> JS: So we're just looking to see if a change proposal comes in

Issue-205 Status

   <Judy> JS: There was a decision on 205. Potential concerns wrt factual content. Still under discussion as to whether will request reconsideration.

   <Judy> ...requested an extension of response time till Aug 3rd. Granted.

Issue-204 Status

   <Judy> JS: Anyone looked at latest postings on that thread?

   <Judy> JF: Apparently trying to sort out details & typos in diff

   <Judy> JS: looked at newer version of his cp?

Issue-201 Status

   <Judy> JS: Rich, some discussion on that?

   <Judy> RS: Asked Ted to include links to changes that were being proposed from before

   <Judy> ...eventually got the details to look at

   <Stevef> teds proposal http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/User:Eoconnor/ISSUE-201

   <Judy> ...in the details on hit regions, the fallback content limited to ~5 form regions, and that's it

   <Judy> ... supported tab index

   <Judy> ...the limitations in his cp are huge in terms of ability to support accessibility requirements

   <Judy> ...dunno if he's seen the comments on that concern

   <Judy> JS: intention or accidental exclusion?

   <Judy> RS: unclear

   <Judy> scribe: Judy

   <Stevef> email from me on subject: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0203.html

   RS: this tweak that they threw in breaks the accessibility support

   <Stevef> email from rich: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0204.html

   RS: and the limitation is just one of the problems

   SF: [inaudible]
   ... this is deliberately defined in the WHATWG spec

   RS: not the first time someone has tried to restrict ARIA use

   JB: Get on phone with Ted and let him know he's missing key requirements?

   PC: Weren't the action items coming out of that meeting on Rich, not on Ted and Frank?

   RS: We didn't have the details of his approach at that time. Was not possible to identify the massive bug until he'd provided those details.

   PC: Give him a chance to respond.

   SF: will paste links to info

   <Stevef> no ARIA custom control can be referenced from a hit region unless it is built on a small number of html elements as defined in the change proposal diff
   http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=7028&to=7029

   RS: that line just needs to be removed

   <Stevef> email about text changes: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0162.html

   <paulc> Steve's email asks for review of further changes: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0198.html

   <Stevef> rich's original message: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Jul/0084.html

   <MichaelC> scribe: MichaelC

Issue-194 Status

   js: survey closes today, no objections logged

   added link to user requirements

   in my comments; none other logged just yet

   jf: can live with either of the proposals, but have a preference for one

   pc: log an objection on the less preferred one, say it's a mild objection, and provide your rationale

Subteam Reports: Bug Triage; Text; ARIA Mappings

   lw: none from bug triage

   <janina> Janina noting that Issue-194 survey ends at midnight Boston.

   jb: text has no recent meetings, nothing else to report

   sf: HTML API guide plugging away, but nothing major to report

   wasn't initially included in recharter of HTML WG; asked for it to be added and it was

   js: concerned too few people working on it

   with too little representation from browser manufacturers, might not arrive at a mapping that works

   need broader review

   are we getting to a point to solicit that?

   rs: no time to review

   sf: have had ongoing review from a number of implementers

   have asked in WhatWG circles, response was that they don't know about this stuff so they don't respond to it

   am hearing from individuals working on implementation at various implementers, particularly Webkit and Mozilla

   Microsoft has a couple people involved also

   we do need to get input on the scope of the document

   and work out what belongs in this doc, and what goes in the ARIA implementation guide

   rs: think ARIA should go through Last Call

   sf: no problem, just laying out the plan

   involvement of more people slows down because of more review cycles

   cs: completing the ARIA implementation guide should free up resources for this work

   have some major time zone challenges for meetings

   js: it is a substantial effort, appreciate it's coming together

Other Business

   sf: meta generator has a change

   js: discussed earlier in call, moved to MAY

   expect to impact us only if a change proposal comes forward

   jb: which we expect, but have to await

   sf: best outcome would be that spec has stuff that conformance checker implementers would follow

   cs: remember there are multiple conformance checkers

   pc: note announcement of first batch of editors

   <paulc> http://www.w3.org/QA/2012/07/html5_and_htmlnext.html

   <janina> scribe: janina

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Scribes: Judy, MichaelC, janina
Present: Michael_Cooper Janina_Sajka John_Foliot Judy_Brewer Léonie_Watson Rich_Schwerdtfeger Paul_Cotton Steve_Faulkner Cynthia_Shelly

-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net
		Email:	janina@rednote.net

The Linux Foundation
Chair, Open Accessibility:	http://a11y.org

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
Chair,	Protocols & Formats	http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
	Indie UI			http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/
Received on Thursday, 26 July 2012 16:02:02 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 26 July 2012 16:02:02 GMT