RE: @longdesc scope (was: HTML Media Transcript, Issue-194: Are we done?)

From: Léonie Watson <lwatson@nomensa.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 16:57:29 +0100
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
CC: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, 'Chaals McCathieNevile' <w3b@chaals.com>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, 'HTML Accessibility Task Force' <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> John Foliot, Thu, 5 Jul 2012 07:48:13 -0700:

>>> Maybe. I think that is relatively editorial.
>>
>> I actually kind of disagree here. There is a world of difference
>> between a longer textual description about a movie, and the actual
>> transcript, which is essentially closer to the script or screenplay
>> of the movie, than the description of the movie.
>
> Would you say that it is a world of difference between a transcript
> for a movie on one hand, and a long description for a single graphic
> that contains sequential frames from a movie or a comic/cartoon[1][2]
> on the other?

Yes.

The transcript would be a written representation of the audio content of the movie. Its primary beneficiaries would be Deaf and hard of hearing people.

The long description would be a written representation of the visual content of the sequence of frames. Its primary beneficiaries would be blind and partially sighted people.

Léonie.

Nomensa - humanising technology

Léonie Watson, Director of Accessibility
tel: +44 (0)117 929 7333
Mob: +44 (0)792 116 8551
twitter: @we_are_Nomensa @LeonieWatson

Nomensa Email Disclaimer: http://www.nomensa.com/email-disclaimer

© Nomensa Ltd, King William House, 13 Queen Square, Bristol BS1 4NT
UK VAT registration: GB 771727411 | Company number: 4214477