Re: @longdesc scope (was: HTML Media Transcript, Issue-194: Are we done?)

David Singer, Mon, 09 Jul 2012 08:42:23 -0700:
> On Jul 7, 2012, at 1:14 , Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

>> Would you say that it is a world of difference between a transcript for
>> a movie on one hand, and a long description for a single graphic that
>> contains sequential frames from a movie or a comic/cartoon[1][2] on the
>> other?
>
> yes.

I don't agree with that 'yes'. But I agree that this is not a
transcript:

> "This movie concerns the childhood and youth of someone who becomes a
> film director. It opens with a scene of his adulthood, receiving a
> phone call from his mother in Sicily, informing that someone is dead.
> The film then returns to hid childhood, where he is shown fascinated
> with the local cinema, and he befriends the projectionist." and so on.
>
> this is not a transcript.

However: That was not the kind of long alternative text that I had mind.

Your example takes a "tell, don't show" attitude. If it had taken a
"show, don't tell" approach, then it would probably looked more like a
transcript. And a "show, don't tell" approach might be the exact
correct one to take for a comic/cartoon.
--
Leif Halvard Silli