W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > February 2012

Re: Minutes Re: agenda: HTML-A11Y Task Force, 08 February at 16:00Z

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:57:43 -0500
To: Léonie Watson <lwatson@nomensa.com>
Cc: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20120210195743.GC5225@sonata.rednote.net>
Steve, Leonie, et al;

Just in case it wasn't clear from the minutes, the reason an F2F on the
U.S. 
West Coast is being discussed is that it has already been determined
that both the HTML and Web Apps WGs will be meeting somewhere in the
Silicon Valley area, probably the week of April 8.

I would note that TPAC 2012, in the early November time frame, is set
for Lyons, France and we should expect an TF F2F at that time and place.

Do either of you see a pressing need for an earlier TF F2F in Europe?
Specifics might help the conversation, but any such F2F would
necessarily occur apart from the meetings of the other two WGs.

Janina

Léonie Watson writes:
> "I would like to suggest that an a11y taskforce face to face be located in europe."
> 
>     I'd like to second this request.
> 
> Léonie.
> 
> 
> --
> Nomensa - humanising technology
> 
> Léonie Watson, Director of Accessibility
> tel: +44 (0)117 929 7333
> mob: +44 (0)792 116 8551
> twitter: @we_are_Nomensa @LeonieWatson
> 
> Nomensa Email Disclaimer: http://www.nomensa.com/email-disclaimer
> 
> 
> 
> ________________________________
> From: Steve Faulkner [mailto:faulkner.steve@gmail.com]
> Sent: 10 February 2012 09:51
> To: Michael Cooper
> Cc: public-html-a11y@w3.org
> Subject: Re: Minutes Re: agenda: HTML-A11Y Task Force, 08 February at 16:00Z
> 
> Hi all,
> >issue-193: remove CSS example (Steve)
> i submitted a proposal last week
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/outlinenone
> 
> Re: a11y taskforce F2F
> ms: there's a proposal to have meetings between WebApps and HTML in Silicon Valley 10 - 13 April 2012
> 
> this would not be possible for me to attend
> I would like to suggest that an a11y taskforce face to face be located in europe.
> 
> 
> regards
> stevef
> 
> On 10 February 2012 04:01, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org<mailto:cooper@w3.org>> wrote:
> Minutes of the 9 February HTML Accessibility Task Force meeting are posted to http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html and copied below.
> HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference
> 09 Feb 2012
> 
> Agenda<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Feb/0040.html>
> 
> See also: IRC log<http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-irc>
> 
> Attendees
> 
> Present
> Cooper, Janina_Sajka, John_Foliot, Rich, Mike, paulc, Cynthia_Shelly
> Regrets
> Steve_Faulkner, Laura_Carlson
> Chair
> Mike_Smith
> Scribe
> MichaelC, MikeSmith
> Contents
> 
>  *   Topics<http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#agenda>
>     *   When to file change proposals?<http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item01>
>     *   Reminder of the Deadline for reopen requests based on New Information<http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item02>
>     *   Meta name generator<http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item03>
>     *   issue-192: title attribute (Steve)<http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item04>
>     *   issue-193: remove CSS example (Steve)<http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item05>
>     *   issue-194: media transcript (John)<http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item06>
>     *   issue-199: ARIA-attribute processing requirements (MichaelC)<http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item07>
>     *   issue-201: canvas fallback (Frank)<http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item08>
>     *   issue-202: figcaption word-count (Judy)<http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item09>
>     *   issue-131 caret selection notification<http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item10>
>     *   April face-to-face meetings for HTML and WebApps<http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item11>
>     *   Text alternatives<http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#item12>
>  *   Summary of Action Items<http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
> 
> ________________________________
> 
> <trackbot> Date: 09 February 2012
> 
> <MikeSmith> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Feb/0063.html
> 
> <MichaelC> agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Feb/0040.html
> 
> <MichaelC> scribe: MichaelC
> 
> When to file change proposals?
> 
> <paulc> Paul indicated that anyone with a change proposal they are working on should definitely file what they by the on time date.
> 
> <paulc> There note should if possible indicate if there are any areas they plan to continue to work on so that other WG member know if the CP is complete or not.
> 
> <paulc> The Chairs are especially willing to see CPs evovle in the face of input and/or discussion on the email list.
> 
> Reminder of the Deadline for reopen requests based on New Information
> 
> <MikeSmith> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Feb/0063.html
> 
> ms: important to be aware of the deadlines in the above mail
> 
> Meta name generator
> 
> js: TF approved Steve's change proposal
> 
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposal/meta_name=generator_does_not_make_missing_alt_conforming
> 
> Leif has put out another one
> 
> ms: note some of the reopen requests need to be refined further
> 
> <scribe can't find pointer to Leif's CP>
> 
> there will be a preliminary review for well formedness of CPs
> 
> need to be prepared to respond quickly to issues raised
> 
> issue-192: title attribute (Steve)
> 
> -> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/notitlev2 Updated title attribute CP from Steve
> 
> <note this is tagged to HTML-ISSUE-80, not HTML-ISSUE-192>
> 
> <MikeSmith> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/notitle_reality
> 
> js: this is a reconsideration request for HTML-ISSUE-80
> 
> ms: finding above CP as well
> 
> mc: think this is and OBE version but it's unclear
> 
> ms: think Steve is on top of pushing the CP to the HTML WG
> 
> js: important so will ping
> 
> js; has been reviewed by text sub-team, just editorial edits now
> 
> issue-193: remove CSS example (Steve)
> 
> ms: no CP available?
> 
> js: on Steve's plate, don't recall due date
> 
> issue was that markup in example was not a11y friendly
> 
> ms: so naive user might get misled even though it's informative
> 
> <MikeSmith> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html
> 
> due 15 February 2012
> 
> issue-194: media transcript (John)
> 
> jf: there are two methods to pursue
> 
> <scribe missed details>
> 
> not sure whether to submit one, both as alternatives, what
> 
> js: both would work and we don't have preference between them, right?
> 
> jf: right, we need programmatic link to transcripts
> 
> can be done with @kind or with a new attribute
> 
> <scribe> new attribute might have more resistance
> 
> ms: discussed in media sub-team?
> 
> js: not recently
> 
> there has been pushback on new values for @kind
> 
> ms: should get others to support an approach and contribute to the CP
> 
> issue-199: ARIA-attribute processing requirements (MichaelC)
> 
> <MikeSmith> scribe: MikeSmith
> 
> <MichaelC> ARIA processing CP<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ARIA_Processing>
> 
> MichaelC: view is that this CP is to clarify how to do lexical processing of ARIA in HTML
> ... it copies info from elsewhre
> ... says what the syntax of the value of the role attribute is
> ... and some additional conformance requirements, then how to process it
> ... similiarly, for state and property attributes
> ... So I believe that should clarify the lexical processing requirements for ARIA
> 
> <scribe> scribe: MichaelC
> 
> issue-201: canvas fallback (Frank)
> 
> rs: expect Frank to have a CP by this weekend
> 
> <richardschwerdtfe> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Canvas_hit_testing
> 
> due 16 Feb
> 
> ms: also need to move that to the HTML wiki
> 
> issue-202: figcaption word-count (Judy)
> 
> js: believe Judy still hopes to get this in
> 
> it's a nice-to-have, not essential
> 
> so if it's not in, we'll be ok
> 
> ms: would be nice to get it done so it's not hanging
> 
> <richardschwerdtfe> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/FocusRingTextBaseline
> 
> issue-131 caret selection notification
> 
> <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/FocusRingTextBaseline><http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/FocusRingTextBaseline%3E>
> 
> <richardschwerdtfe> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/CaretSelectionRevised
> 
> rs: these are two canvas proposals
> 
> not alternatives, they work together to solve the problems
> 
> also think current state for focus ring isn't satisfactory yet
> 
> item 24 = April face-to-face meetings for HTML and WebApps
> 
> April face-to-face meetings for HTML and WebApps
> 
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0057.html
> 
> ms: there's a proposal to have meetings between WebApps and HTML in Silicon Valley 10 - 13 April 2012
> 
> question is whether this TF should meet then also
> 
> <MikeSmith> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012JanMar/thread.html#msg549
> 
> TF could meet on Monday 9 April, Saturday 14 April, or overlap with WebApps on 10 - 11 April
> 
> mc: can poll for a) support a FtF this year, b) support joining this batch of meetings, c) specific dates in that week preferred?
> 
> js: want to know about agenda
> 
> mc: picks up on some TPAC discussion about Web performance
> 
> also some API work, that's not currently in HTML but affects it
> 
> pc: HTML also needs to start thinking of what's next in HTML
> 
> <MikeSmith> related to HTML.next - http://www.w3.org/html/wg/next/markup/
> 
> js: makes sense for these meetings to take place
> 
> <MikeSmith> stuff that will be going into WebApps charter - http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/CharterChanges#Additions_Agreed
> 
> pc: FtF at last TPAC was considered valuable
> 
> would run the HTML portion of this un-conference style
> 
> js: PF would be interested in this stuff anyways
> 
> value in TF joining in the forwards thinking
> 
> pc: also in poll should point out nearby religious holidays
> 
> Text alternatives
> 
> mc: have a change proposal that functions as part of a reopen request for HTML-ISSUE-31, but don't feel confident in it
> 
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/Text_Alternatives_Ownership
> 
> js: Steve is working on another aspect that is more important
> 
> need to decide what to do with these in the next day and half
> 
> <scribe> meeting: HTML Accessibility Task Force
> 
> Summary of Action Items
> [End of minutes]
> ________________________________
> Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm> version 1.136 (CVS log<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/>)
> $Date: 2012/02/09 17:07:15 $
> ________________________________
> 
> --
> 
> Michael Cooper
> Web Accessibility Specialist
> World Wide Web Consortium, Web Accessibility Initiative
> E-mail cooper@w3.org<mailto:cooper@w3.org>
> Information Page<http://www.w3.org/People/cooper/>
> 
> 
> 
> --
> with regards
> 
> Steve Faulkner
> Technical Director - TPG
> 
> www.paciellogroup.com<http://www.paciellogroup.com> | www.HTML5accessibility.com<http://www.HTML5accessibility.com> | www.twitter.com/stevefaulkner<http://www.twitter.com/stevefaulkner>
> HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives - dev.w3.org/html5/alt-techniques/<http://dev.w3.org/html5/alt-techniques/>
> Web Accessibility Toolbar - www.paciellogroup.com/resources/wat-ie-about.html
> <http://www.paciellogroup.com/resources/wat-ie-about.html>

-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina@a11y.org	
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org

Chair, Protocols & Formats
Web Accessibility Initiative	http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Received on Friday, 10 February 2012 19:58:10 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:42:53 GMT