W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > December 2012

Minutes 20 Dec Re: Agenda for today

From: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 22:26:58 +0400
To: "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <op.wpmn68m8y3oazb@dhcp-218-29-wifi.yandex.net>
At http://www.w3.org/2012/12/20-html-a11y-minutes.html or slightly cleaned  
up below:

HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference 20 Dec 2012

Present
hober, Cooper, Stevef, David_MacDonald, Judy, chaals, Cynthia_Shelly,  
janina
Regrets: Leonie
Chair, scribe: chaals

Topics
Using ARIA in HTML  
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/aria-unofficial/raw-file/tip/index.html CFC  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Dec/0075.html
Longdesc Extension Update (CfC currently has very few responses)
Status of "alt" text in HTML (specification and usage in HTML spec
Subteam Reports: Bug Triage; Text;
Actions Review http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/open
Summary of Action Items

Content:

Using ARIA in HTML  
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/aria-unofficial/raw-file/tip/index.html CFC  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Dec/0075.html

RESOLUTION: Request publication of ARIA in HTML
ACTION: Stevef follow up with HTML WG on ARIA in HTML [recorded in  
http://www.w3.org/2012/12/20-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

Longdesc Extension Update (CfC currently has very few responses)

CMN: CfC doesn't have many responses - it would be nice ot have more.
… one response form James Craig discussing the point about clarifying that  
longdesc applies to everything - says that isn't his point, he just  
doesn't want to use longdesc.
… there is a technical point there, but his objection is wanting another  
spec. Don't see any objection on the technical point.
SF: Imagine people who want to make longdesc obsolete but conforming make  
their point in HTML WG. That would presumably imply an alternative  
proposal.
Status of "alt" text in HTML (specification and usage in the

<Stevef> agree with chaals, let people make constructive counter proposals  
if they want to step up and do so

Alt Text in HTML spec...

CMN: Where we are up to is the HTML chairs and editors are waiting for us  
to file the bugs in HTML WG so they can work through them.
… They have a decision which requests gidance in the spec, but the  
guidance that is there can be discussed, so as far as I can tell, that is  
what we should be doing.
<Stevef> +1 to chaals
… in theory we could try to re-open ISSUE-31, but that seems both painful  
and unnecessary.
JB: Regards processing individual bugs, would do that in HTML WG.
… there may be a pending coordination question on how much can be done  
where, think it would be good for TF chairs and HTML editors to have a  
quick chat. Avoiding reopening ISSUE-31 would be of value to humanity.
SF: I have filed 4 bugs on alt issues. All except 1 are not in section 4.8  
but in surrounding sections. Purely on examples they have, using title  
attribute.
CMN: So we need to get on with filing the bugs, and getting them dealt  
with.
EO'C: (makes chaals laugh. Luckily, chaals was muted).
… Yep. File, and follow up… I don;t think there is a big problem here,  
just a question of work.
JB: Undertsand Robin Berjon has this task among the editors...
EO'C: He has assigned them to himself. But bugs can be passed around the  
editors if needed.


Subteam Reports: Text;

JB: Text subteam got swamped by holidays. Next meeting Jan 8
… will start processing bugs tagged "text" at that point.
… have processing question about bugs that are being deferred to A11yTF or  
HTML 5.1
… Ted, is that something editors have a preference about? E.g. bugs  
previously closed as WONTFIX that A11yTF think shouldbe fixed, but  
presumably not in HTML5.0
… We couldn't find good classification.
EO'C: Things resolved as "later" are usually being opened on HTML.next -  
if things fall off our radar, move them there and open them.
… If you think there is work to be done in the TF I think it would be  
valuable to have a component in Bugzilla - perhaps something will become  
an extension spec but we don't know a priori. We should ask Team contacts  
to create a component for A11yTF.
… There are bugs where TF disagrees with original resolution. I think  
re-opening is the right thing to do, and you should double-check the  
assignee to make sure it is one of the current editors. Editors have been  
trawling through this stuff, and picking up bugs assigned to dave.null
… so assigning to dave.null gets it into the editor's "pick list"
JB: Not sure how many of these last we found. Don't think we picked up  
"Later" bugs… how to clarify?
EO'C: There is HTML.next component, and "later" as a resolution.
… there will now be things that get done for 5.1 and things that should  
happen after that, so there will need to be a classification.
… Things resolved "later" that need to be noticed should be re-opened with  
the right component.
Actions Review http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/open

CMN: All my actions are outstanding still :(
<trackbot> ACTION-142 -- Cynthia Shelly to file HTML bug about methods  
that should fail when an element has @hidden set -- due 2012-10-11 -- OPEN
<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/142
CS: Think that was done.

[Adjourned - Thanks all, have a good break]
Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Stevef follow up with HTML WG on ARIA in HTML [recorded in  
http://www.w3.org/2012/12/20-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

-- 
Charles McCathie Nevile - Consultant (web standards) CTO Office, Yandex
       chaals@yandex-team.ru         Find more at http://yandex.com
Received on Thursday, 20 December 2012 18:27:30 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 20 December 2012 18:27:30 GMT