Re: Audience Based Validator User Interface (ISSUE-206)

From: Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 12:25:01 +0900
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, 2012-08-26 13:55 -0400:

> First, to Henri (and others): is your sole criteria that <p class=success>
> or <h2 class=valid> shows up in the results when validating pages which are
> properly marked up with generator-unknown-alt attributes?  In particular,
> you are ok with any number of warning or information messages being present
> in the output?

For my part, I've come around to thinking that we'd be better off without
the <p class=success> or <h2 class=valid> part at all. Instead just emit
any errors and warnings. And if there are no errors or warnings, just be
silent. The binary pass/fail, valid/invalid indicator is not necessary and
not really helpful. We're not handing out badges, and the purpose of the
validator is not to give anybody a stamp of approval.

  --Mike