RE: Updated ISSUE-206 CP

From: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 08:09:53 -0700
To: "'Steve Faulkner'" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: "'Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis'" <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, "'Edward O'Connor'" <eoconnor@apple.com>, <public-html@w3.org>, "'HTML Accessibility Task Force'" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Steve Faulkner wrote:

> I discussed with ben on another thread whether adding a default string
> to the acc name was useful, I came to the conclusion that it was
> better not to add a default string, but to indicate the presence of
> the generator attribute via a property.
>
> For example in IAccessible2 as an object attribute property, I have
> not looked into how it could be conveyed in other API's yet.
>
> using a property is preferable as it provides a clear indication to
> the AT, and allows the AT to process at sees fit. Adding a default
> string to the acc name does not.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for this.

I am less concerned about the means that we provide this flag to AT, and
more so that we do so. I do not believe that Ted's CP addresses this point
at this time, and whether as a default string or a property as long as there
is an appropriate notification to the end user, then that user-requirement
is (would be) satisfied.

Cheers!

JF