Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: ARIA-DescribedAT & Longdesc

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 02:27:06 +0200
To: Matthew Turvey <mcturvey@gmail.com>
Cc: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Matthew Turvey, Wed, 4 Apr 2012 20:10:24 +0100:
> The HTML-A11Y-TF appears to have suggested to the HTMLWG that longdesc
> "DOES provide effective and consistent support for users regardless of
> browser and AT":
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Jun/0204.html

The quote begins: "_the CP_ we have endorsed DOES provide".

> A normal link on the image, optionally enhanced with
> rel=longdesc where required, is a far better solution to AAP's
> requirements at the current time and for the foreseeable future.

With regard to the 'a link on the image' solution, then your CP does
not solve the problem that users need to separate 'normal image links'
from 'image with a link to a longer description'. While rel=longdesc
*could* have solved that problem, status is that it has no effect on
anything.
--
Leif Halvard Silli