Re: 48-Hour Consensus Call: ARIA-DescribedAT & Longdesc

From: Matthew Turvey <mcturvey@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 21:25:48 +0100
To: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Cc: Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On 3 April 2012 14:50, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com> wrote:

> Possibly, but it is clear that despite poor implementation, the fact that
> a real proportion of the audience who *needs* this stuff don't really
> understand how it works, and that it is expensive, thoughtful publishers
> with years of experience in making stuff accessible for real world use
> cases have decided that the expense of using longdesc is justified.

I think that's probably because WAI have been giving out misleading
UA/AT support information for longdesc in WCAG H45:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H45.html

This is being fixed, so hopefully publishers will make their long
descriptions accessible to everyone, including all SR users, in
future:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2012Feb/0015.html

-Matt