Update on expedited discussion [was: Re: Second Call for Consensus--Reconfirm Longdesc Decision]

Dear All,

We would like to provide an update on the expedited discussion
concerning the consensus call on the longdesc change proposal and
formal objection http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/20110519_longdesc/results

It was not possible for the HTML WG Co-Chairs to consider this
proposal under their normal WG decision process prior to their
planned publication of a Last Call Working Draft. Since they had
planned a tight turnaround between the close of their Last Call poll
and their intended Last Call publication, we therefore requested that
an expedited discussion of the concerns noted below take place before
a formal decision to publish was made. That discussion has occured.

As a consequence of that discussion, we understand that if Last Call
Working Draft publication of HTML5 proceeds, there will not be a
claim of feature completeness; remaining concerns will be flagged in
the draft; it will be accompanied by messaging addressing the
importance of resolving accessibility support in HTML5; improvements
in subsequent working drafts will be noted; and improvements in
coordination, in advance opportunities for clarification, and in
timing of decisions will be pursued. Additional information may be
available during meetings this coming week.

Please note that the TF longdesc survey
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/20110519_longdesc/
remains open through Monday 23 May 11:59pm Boston time, and the HTML5
Last Call Working Draft survey
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/html5-last-call-poll/
remains open only through this Sunday 22 May 11:50pm. Formal
objections by individuals may still serve to register concerns;
however we note that an expedited discussion has already occured.

Regards,

Janina Sajka, PFWG Chair
Judy Brewer, WAI Domain Leader