(unknown charset) Re: [media] alt technologies for paused video (and using ARIA)

From: (unknown charset) Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 14:43:22 +0200
To: (unknown charset) Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Cc: (unknown charset) Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, Victor Tsaran <vtsaran@yahoo-inc.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, "E.J. Zufelt" <everett@zufelt.ca>
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis, Sun, 15 May 2011 06:20:38 +0100:
> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 4:05 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>> I think you are right and text-only browsers do not display aria-label
>> text (though it could actually be a very interesting piece of
>> information to display, but that's just not how it currently works, so
>> let's not argue about that).
>
> Text browsers are free to conform to HTML5 and WAI-ARIA and display
> "aria-label".

Ah, in addition to the features of @alt that I just mentioned [1], @alt
does of course also incorporate the idea that one MUST use it. Whereas
@aria-label is optional.

In my thinking, VIDEO should be implemented in textual browsers a bit
like image maps: A short string - from @alt or eventually @aria-label -
represents the video. And by pressing the right arrow key, one gets a
list of available video and/or track sources.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011May/0373
--
Leif H Silli